When thinking of new and creative ways to spend some time with your significant other this Valentine’s Day, consider an indoor waffle picnic (think: homemade strawberry waffles dipped in melted chocolate, cozy blankets, sweet tunes, lovely flowers and fresh, easy-to-make strawberry mimosas). Our holistic nutritionist and Glitter Guide contributor, Kara Stout, is here with all of the yummy details below.
This indoor picnic idea is the perfect way to share Valentine’s Day with your loved one or with your girlfriends! Either option would be so much fun and an easy way to show your love and appreciation for them. We don’t often set aside enough time with the ones we love most, and Valentine’s Day gives us the perfect excuse to go all in and make that time and those memories.
Currently the weather in most areas isn’t too conducive to an outdoor picnic, which is why I thought an indoor picnic would be perfect for this time of year. However, if you live in a place that does have some sunshine and warmth, and you want to take this little party outside, go for it!
Here’s a quick list so you can easily put together your Valentine’s Day Waffle Picnic:
- Pick up fresh flowers—think: roses, peonies, dahlias.
- Pick up waffle and mimosa ingredients—see recipes below.
- Add some fresh berries and citrus to your grocery cart—they are great sides to include.
- Pack your picnic basket—extra Champagne, waters, plates, utensils, napkins, berries, citrus slices and anything else you’d like to bring to the picnic.
- Set the scene—lay comfy blankets down in your favorite spot at home, set flowers out, turn on some music, light candles, turn on the fireplace (if you have one!) and set out a picnic basket.
- Make your waffles, chocolate dip and mimosas and bring them to your picnic.
- Rest, talk, laugh and enjoy one another!
Gluten-free Strawberry Waffles with Chocolate Dipping Sauce
Makes 3 waffles.
- 1½ cups almond flour
- 3 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 1 tablespoon flaxseed
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 1 large organic egg (lightly beaten)
- 2 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- 1 cup sliced and cubed organic strawberries
- Dark chocolate chips (I love this vegan, allergy-friendly brand)
- Add almond flour, coconut sugar, flaxseed, cinnamon, baking powder and sea salt to a large bowl and mix together.
- Stir in almond milk, almond extract, vanilla, egg and melted coconut oil.
- Using a handheld mixer, mix together until a nice consistency. The dough is a bit thicker and not as liquid as some waffle mixes, but not to worry! That is how it is supposed to look.
- Fold in the strawberries.
- Using your waffle maker, make your strawberry waffles. I used this heart-shaped waffle maker if you want to up your waffle game!
- While your waffles are cooking, make the melted chocolate dip. Take your dark chocolate chips and melt them either using a double-boiler or microwave. When using a double-boiler, keep stirring until all the chocolate is melted. This is my personal favorite way to melt chocolate into a nice consistency. If using a microwave, I would suggest melting in increments of 30 to 45 seconds so it doesn’t burn, and make sure to stir in between cooking times. This will help you gauge when the chocolate is completely melted.
- Fun optional waffle toppings: mini strawberry heart-shaped cut outs, edible flowers or organic powdered sugar. You can also drizzle the melted chocolate on top if you prefer instead of dipping each bite into the chocolate sauce. I like dipping each bite, personally!
Strawberry Mimosas with Chocolate-Covered Strawberries
Makes 2 mimosas.
- 4 cups organic strawberries
- Your favorite Champagne
- Juice strawberries in juicer.
- Pour Champagne first, then add desired amount of fresh strawberry juice.
- Optional: Rim Champagne glasses with chocolate-covered strawberries! You can do this by simply dipping strawberries in some of the chocolate you melted for the waffles, place them on parchment paper and place them in the fridge for about 20 to 30 minutes. That’s it!
- Cheers and xoxo!
Shop The Post: